Strategic Purchasing Manager
RIDGEWAY, SC 29130
The Manager of Strategic Purchasing is responsible for the procurement of raw materials, production parts, service parts, and MRO facility supplies. The Manager of Strategic Purchasing maintains responsibility for the departmental budget, staffing, staff evaluations, development and training, vendor assessments, evaluations, and selection, and quality control, at the supplier level.
• Provide leadership, ethics, code of conduct, and compliance to all legal requirements, i.e. /EEOC, etc.
• Manage the purchasing budget within company business plan parameters.
• Manage the day-to-day activities of production and operational supply procurement within planned schedules.
• Direct, review, evaluate, and motivate subordinates to attain optimum performance.
• Negotiate purchase part prices with major vendors.
• Initiate and support any VA/VE activity within the company to achieve cost reduction target.
• Assure quality, from the supplier and monitor overall supplier quality performance, take remedial action, and recover costs as needed.
• Control annual budget of approximately $15M-$20M and oversee all purchases to support annual sales and production.
• Extend decision making authority over department workloads, premium freight authorizations, staff and vendor priorities, sub-contractor selections, and supply source changes.
• Recommend schedule changes related to vendor performance, customer requirements, wage increases, staffing, and unbudgeted expenditures beyond policy guidelines.
• Interact directly with Buyers and other departments such as Materials Management, Operations, Engineering, Accounting, and Traffic.
• Maintain relationships/contacts with vendors, corporate office, sister companies, and government agencies (SBLO).
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business or equivalent
• 5 years of experience in purchasing
• Knowledge of logistics, negotiations, and supervision
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills with ability to develop strong professional working relationships across all levels of the organization.
• Ability to analyze and present data effectively.
• Capability to plan effectively, set priorities, make sound decisions, and to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Ability to multitask, solve problems, manage time, adapt to changing work conditions and shift priorities in a fast-paced environment. Working on evening and week end may also be required at time.
• Superior organizational skills, strong quality orientation, and high attention to detail.
• Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of and adherence to occupational hazards and standard safety practices.